Skip to main content

Media Diary 11: Animated Music Videos


One of my favourite forms of 2D animation is the art of animated music videos. Since I spend way too much time watching these, I thought I should share some that I particularly enjoy.



This video's main animation was drawn by Keke, a French animator. What makes Keke's style so unique is that he animates most of his work (including this video) on the Nintendo DS app Flipnote. As you can probably guess, the app does not have the capabilities and luxuries that "proper" animation softwares have, so it's incredible how Keke is able to do such detailed work even with the constraints of the software.

In addition to generally loving Keke's artwork, what I like about this is how the story is presented. Lot of it it told via small, easy-to-miss details, and even if you do pay attention to the background hints, it leaves lots of it up to the interpretation of the viewer.



The music video for Eve's song お気に召すまま (Translation: As You Like It), which the artist Waboku drew and animated the music video for.

This is probably amongst my most watched videos of the year. The simple but quirky character desings, constantly changing colors, intentionally rough animation style, and the overall weird yet upbeat feeling that perfectly fits the rhythm of the song, makes this video somehow really captivating to me. The story, or message behind the song is quite vague, but that's what I enjoy about it, because for me it's really fun to try come up with my own interpretations and theories of songs and videos I watch

Somehow this video manages to hit the sweet spot of everything I enjoy so perfectly, that it's actually quite challenging to try to explain why I like it so much...



This one is still really new to me too, and frankly I'm not all that familiar with the artists of either the song or the animation here. A quick check tells me the video was animated by RUDO Co. and as the title says, the song is by SIAMÉS.

In this music video, the animation itself looks beautiful and polished, and the use of the panels to further the storytelling and represent the emotions of the character's is masterful. In less than five minutes it manages to tell an emotional story set in an interesting sci-fi world, and definitely leaves the viewer starving for more. Or at least for me it did.

Comments